Raw 1212 Recap
Sami Zayn vs. Sheamus
Sami Zayn wins after Cesaro distracted Sheamus. That Helluva Kick is fun to watch though.
The New Day vs. The Dudley Boyz
Total squash match. Used only to further the hype for The New Day vs. Gallows and Anderson. We did get a good ‘New Day Rocks’ pun though, so that was fun.
The New Day wins.
Kevin Owens vs. Big Cass
This was a good match until it turned into a beatdown, though this ending wasn’t surprising at all, considering the upcoming match up at Summer Slam. For what it’s worth, I think that match could be really good.
Big Cass wins via DQ.
Charlotte vs. Alicia Fox
Rusev vs. Roman Reigns
This match was always going to be a brawl, neither guy is a technical specialist. This is just two big dudes going hard. Some people will say that they can’t wrestle but that’s a short sighted statement. These guys can wrestle and do so very well.
I enjoyed this match for what it was, a preview of Sunday’s matchup. Rusev busted out 5 diving headbutts, I thought that move was outlawed due to all of the concussion concerns? Also, we got a “Roman! Roman!” chant again. Could the tide be turning??
This match had one of the better Superman Punches in recent memory, Rusev kicked out though. The spear was especially good too. Rusev knows how to sell both of those moves incredibly well.
Roman Reigns wins and the crowd LOVED it. Well done WWE, well done.
Summer Slam could be the best PPV of the year. That’s all, short and sweet this week.
Things of Note
- Rollins opened up the show with a truly awful promo. He’s been on such a role since coming back too, this is a shame.
- Rusev is really not good on the mic. Also, it took 10 minutes to get to the decision to book Reigns vs. Rusev to ‘defend Lana’s honor’. WHO CARES? We know that these two are going to beat the crap out of each other in a big time brawl, why is WWE dressing it up like this? I don’t get it.
- I mean it’s obvious that WWE is trying a new way to get Roman Reigns over with the fans, which is totally welcome, but does anyone actually care about ‘Lana’s honor’ so much so that it would be the impetus for a match 6 days before the title match at Summer Slam?
- And by ‘Lana’s honor’ I mean her character’s honor obviously. It’s a weak story telling move. Let’s be honest, if anyone in WWE actually cared about her character’s honor they wouldn’t have put her into a cake last week. Just sayin’.
- Kevin Owens and Jericho are really good together but I can’t wait until Owens goes postal after they lose at Summer Slam and destroys Jericho. That will be fun to watch.
- Sheamus and Cesaro got put into a best of 7 series, beginning at Summer Slam. I actually like this, for a few reasons:
- WWE is coming out the front door with the feud. Instead of a seemingly endless feud, we know what to expect, this is nice.
- We know that Cesaro and Sheamus will deliver.
- I’m assuming that this match will be early in the card at Summer Slam. By making this match the first of the best of 7 series you add some gravity to an early card match, which is usually missing from a PPV. This adds to an already great card. Summer Slam will be awesome.
- Doctor Gallows and Doctor Anderson appeared again. So funny.
- Heath Slater interrupted Brock Lesnar to ask for a one-on-one match for a Raw contract. A ridiculous concept but Slater is really funny.
- We got our first Raw appearance of the Finn Balor’s Demon and it did not disappoint. Seriously, is there a better entrance in pro wrestling? Curious that they would debut the Demon on Raw and not at Summer Slam. I’m not mad about it at all, just curious why they chose to do it this way, that’s all.
Much better than last week but definitely a set up show. The main event was good and we got some decent spots throughout the show. Next week should be better with all of the Summer Slam fallout.